Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently September 30th, 2020, 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: [Guide] Automatically add your media to iTunes
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2013, 8:16 am 
DVD VOB

Thanks Darren

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 3:45 am 
High-Def MKV

Love this. Does it make sense to keep the original titles as is in there current location and have the iTunes compatible files in a separate folder (I know it will take a hell of a lot of additional space)? If so is there a way to automate this, ie have all files converted and moved to a new location and already compatible files copied?

OR is there no downside to having all the files in iTunes format for playing via XBMC?

Great work thanks.

PostPosted: January 10th, 2013, 4:19 am 
Community Support

Hi Hijinxx,

Yes you can have dual copies of the files (one in original location and one automatically imported to itunes) - To do this all you need to do is going into your preferences/advanced in itunes and check both the boxes "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" & "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library". As the second option implies, when the post-processing script runs it will tell itunes to add the file and then itunes will automatically import it.

please note: At this point the file will need to be in the mp4 or m4v file format for this to import otherwise no import will happen, and given that MCM has moved this to your library location it sort of defeats the purpose. Remember the script will use handbrake to convert a file to a m4v so that itunes can import it. So the original post describing the installation, setup and configuration of the post-processing script for itunes gives the best option for use (i have tested many implementations and settings....)

Also note given you are using XBMC as i am, you can use itunes the way you want (but as the only library) and tell xbmc to import from itunes rather than an additional library location. Do a quick search of the XBMC forums and you will find the additional expression variables you can add to XBMC config to import iTunes library's (links to media files) directly.

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 1:39 pm 
High-Def MKV

Hi Simplifyit

Thanks for the advice. I am very tempted to convert my whole collection to mp4 so i can use it with XBMC and Apple TV natively. One big question.

Is there any downside to this, will it compromise the quality of my huge MKV file or will it have negative impact on my 3D films?

Thanks for your input.

; )

PostPosted: January 14th, 2013, 7:49 pm 
Community Support

Hijinxx wrote:
Hi Simplifyit

Thanks for the advice. I am very tempted to convert my whole collection to mp4 so i can use it with XBMC and Apple TV natively. One big question.

Is there any downside to this, will it compromise the quality of my huge MKV file or will it have negative impact on my 3D films?

Thanks for your input.

; )

Hi Hijinxx,

I have my entire library in m4v/mp4 these days and do conversions automatically. As for as impact of quality - that is dependant on the settings you use during the conversion, if you set it up right then - no you shouldn't have any negative impacts.

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 12:36 am 
DVD VOB

Hi Darren

I have been working to integrate this into my workflow for a couple of weeks now and thought that I would just share my observations for your comment.

Note: In iTunes I have both Organise and Copy switched on in Preferences so as to easily manage my music files.

Series Integration:
My experience is to keep TWO copies of the series / episode files - one in iTunes and one in MCM.

I first use MCM to load and manage the series / episodes and then run your script to shoot the file through to iTunes.

The reason for the two copies is that when iTunes grabs and files an episode it strips the Series name from the front of the filename which in turns throws MCM a curvy and it can't handle it. MCM loses track of the Season / Episode info resulting in "incorrect" metadata being injected into the file.

So I have modified your .vbs file to copy the file to the "Add Automatically to iTunes" folder created by iTunes, rather than using the script to "iTunesLibrary.AddFile(theFile)" - this then means that I have an "original" sitting in MCM and a copy sitting in iTunes.

I have also found that sometimes iTunes pops the Episode Files under "Home Videos" because it cannot read the metadata inserted by Atomic Parsley (or Atomic Parsley cannot insert the metadata - throwing an error that the script doesn't trap).

In order to check that all the metadata is there for iTunes to parse i have been using MP3Tag V2.54 to view the files and copy and paste metadata before the files get to iTunes.

Regards

MikeP

PostPosted: January 18th, 2013, 1:56 am 
High-Def MKV

Hi Darren

Ive started testing with moves but got the following error on the first run.

Any Ideas?

thanks

8:46 AM :: MCM: Post-processing running:
8:46 AM :: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Media Center Master\addToItunes.cmd" "\\DROBO-MEDIASER\Movies\21 Jump Street (2012) [720p]\21 Jump Street (2012) [720p].mkv" movie "21 Jump Street" 2012
8:46 AM :: MCM: There was an error during post-processing. The details are listed below:
8:46 AM :: -----------------------------------------------------------
[EXCEPTION] System.InvalidOperationException
[MESSAGE] StandardOut has not been redirected or the process hasn't started yet.

8:46 AM :: [08:46:08.536] DEBUG: [F#-1] post processing done
8:46 AM :: [08:46:08.886] DEBUG: [F#-1] media auto-refreshed
8:46 AM :: [08:46:08.932] DEBUG: [F#-1] garbage collection done
8:46 AM :: [08:46:09.318] DEBUG: [F#-1] final media refresh and now finished with fetch
8:46 AM :: [08:46:09.319] Fetching URL

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 10:14 am 
High-Def MKV

mikep wrote:
Hi Darren

I have been working to integrate this into my workflow for a couple of weeks now and thought that I would just share my observations for your comment.

Note: In iTunes I have both Organise and Copy switched on in Preferences so as to easily manage my music files.

Series Integration:
My experience is to keep TWO copies of the series / episode files - one in iTunes and one in MCM.

I first use MCM to load and manage the series / episodes and then run your script to shoot the file through to iTunes.

The reason for the two copies is that when iTunes grabs and files an episode it strips the Series name from the front of the filename which in turns throws MCM a curvy and it can't handle it. MCM loses track of the Season / Episode info resulting in "incorrect" metadata being injected into the file.

So I have modified your .vbs file to copy the file to the "Add Automatically to iTunes" folder created by iTunes, rather than using the script to "iTunesLibrary.AddFile(theFile)" - this then means that I have an "original" sitting in MCM and a copy sitting in iTunes.

I have also found that sometimes iTunes pops the Episode Files under "Home Videos" because it cannot read the metadata inserted by Atomic Parsley (or Atomic Parsley cannot insert the metadata - throwing an error that the script doesn't trap).

In order to check that all the metadata is there for iTunes to parse i have been using MP3Tag V2.54 to view the files and copy and paste metadata before the files get to iTunes.

Regards

MikeP

Hi MikeP

Could I get a copy of your .vbs file? Also what do i have to do to setup the MP3Tag V2.54 to check and copy the files over to itunes?

Thanks

Hijinxx

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 2:35 am 
High-Def MKV

Hi Darren,

If I just want post processing to convert non mp4 and m4p files, add meta data and move them to a new folder am I correct with these changes in the script,

if objFSO.FileExists(theFile) then
if WScript.Arguments.length > 0 then
if ((objFSO.GetExtensionName(theFile) = "mp4") or (objFSO.GetExtensionName(theFile) = "m4v")) then
call addMetadata
objFSO.Copyfile thefile,"C:\Users\mcm\MOVE TO ITUNES FOLDER\"
else
call convertFile
call addMetadata
objFSO.Copyfile thefile,"C:\Users\mcm\MOVE TO ITUNES FOLDER\"
end if

Also i had some files copied over without converting, ie a .avi file?

Thanks for your help.

: )

PostPosted: January 31st, 2013, 8:26 pm 
Downloaded Clip

Thanks for this Darren, it seems to work great, I do have one Question, is the conversion in the script (in Handbrake) set up for a high quality? I am just not sure, I used it exactly as you did , so just want to ensure that it is good quality. I will probably do conversion of any older files manually to ensure a high quality file. I have not used the CLI version of handbrake before so am unsure what (if any) settings are available. I have no problem with the script doing conversions on new files downloaded as long as the quality will remain about as good as the original file, as 99% of the time it will occur when there is no other activity on the computer.
Sorry if I am a little confused, just want to make sure I am doing this right.
Thanks Again for the help with this, it helps make things easier for those of us that happen to have Idevices that we want to watch our media on as well.
Scott

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next