Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently November 20th, 2018, 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem downloading actor thumbnails?
PostPosted: February 18th, 2018, 10:11 am 
Downloaded Clip

Hi Pete,

I used MCM to build .nfo files for my shared KODI library. Updated to 2.18.4718.633 yesterday, and the first move added to the library since (Blade Runner 2049) seems to have a problem with actor thumbnails. I'm set to download thumbnails, and I post process the nfo files to change the links to point to a folder in my shared library. Since yesterday, instead of an actor thumbnail link to a local drive, the thumbnail link is https: to tmdb. Don't know if the thumbnails are still being downloaded and the link is wrong however. Any ideas please?

Best regards,
Mark W.

Post subject: Re: Problem downloading actor thumbnails?  [SOLVED]
PostPosted: February 18th, 2018, 11:32 am 
Developer/Owner

Per the changelog (issues #1806 and #780), the thumbnail image URL from metadata is now stored as the actor thumbnail, when available. Kodi prefers image URLs for thumbs (and if you export from Kodi, it will dump image URLs back to the .nfo).

These change should actually subvert your need to handle anything in post-processing for actor thumbnails. Kodi will read the image URL and fetch the image into its internal artwork cache the same as if it were a local filename.

Post subject: Re: Problem downloading actor thumbnails?
PostPosted: February 18th, 2018, 2:56 pm 
Downloaded Clip

Thanks for the quick response Pete.

The ability to have a "local" (i.e. on site) cache of actor thumbnails is now irrelevant as all actor thumbnails have to be fetched from the internet, is that correct please? I was trying to avoid KODI reaching out to the internet by using nfo files and MCM... :(

Best regards,
Mark W.

PostPosted: February 18th, 2018, 3:38 pm 
Developer/Owner

Kodi connects to the internet all the time for various subservices. I could add yet another setting in Media Center Master to disable this new behavior (or you could adjust your post-processing script as the MCM-downloaded thumbnails are still there), but... is it really that valuable of a request?

I am sorry the new behavior inconveniences you, but I'm skeptical that it's a large inconvenience right now. If you disagree, I'm more than receptive to hear your case.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2018, 3:08 pm 
Downloaded Clip

Fair enough, not a real issue it doesn't seem. Each on my KODI boxes is presumably now caching the thumbnails from the internet rather than my local NAS box. Thanks for your.

Best regards,
Mark W.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2018, 6:57 am 
Downloaded Clip

Cool, so now I don't have to host my own artwork on my own web server for plex. Great!

Question - How do I get 1000 existing NFOs updated with the new <thumb> URL pointing to TMDB?

1) I changed my configuration under Settings -> to remove my share folder hosted on my web server. I see after saving the URL changes itself to C:\ProgramData\MediaBrowser\etc... If I do a simple Fetch Metadata, the <thumb> URL gets updated to the C:\ProgramData URL. Bummer, was hoping it would pull the TMDB link for all my existing movies that I've already taken the time to tag with MCM.

I thought I would be clever and write a script to strip just all existing <thumb> links in existing NFOs, and then Fetch Metadata - alas still the local C:\.... <thumb> reference :(

So the only way I see to do it is to use the "Clear Out Metadata" option so it removes the NFO and XML, then Fetch Metadata....which means I basically have to allow it rescan every title and I've gotta sit here and confirm movies, etc = time consuming just to get the URLs updated. This, of course, is only a problem for existing, not new. Please tell me there's a better way where MCM will go out and "fetch" while using my existing Metadata (NFOs) so the URL gets updated, and I don't have to sit here and select which movie it is, or enter IMDB, etc. (I've already done that, would prefer not to do it again)

If it can't be changed to "easily" update the <thumb> URL without forcing users to ditch all of the work they've already done with their NFOs and XMLs, an option to NOT be forced to use the TMDB link, and retain their current configuration would be nice. I'm sure there are users that have been using MCM for years, have their processes for managing their Cast Artwork and updating their NFOs and XMLs, and have 100's and 100's of already existing files that they'd rather not go back and manually update again. Giving them the option of which process they want to use seems reasonable. I personally would just like a way for MCM to overwrite the <thumb> URL on existing NFOs (with the TMDB link) without having to rescrape entriely. I'd rather not host all of my own artwork, so I welcome this change...just not the effort I'd have to put into this to get all of my media using the same method.

2) If you're going to force the <thumb> link in the NFO and XML now, why even bother storing the images locally, or giving the user a choice to store them somewhere else? Unless the user goes in and post processes to update the <thumb> in each of their NFOs, that image that is pulled down will never be used. Just wasted space on their system in my opinion - AND an unnecessary step for MCM now too which could speed up the process (not that pulling down artwork takes a lot of time, but it's a step nonetheless). Just change it to get the link and not download the artwork anymore for the <thumb>.

3) Any chance you're going to implement this for TV Shows? That would be great!

Thanks!