Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently November 30th, 2020, 11:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Standard VMC naming for TV - NOT STANDARD... ha ha
PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 9:22 pm 
Developer/Owner

Paul,

Could you be more specific on how the structure of your recorded TV shows are named? I'm sure I could help you out, but I'd need a bit more to go on. It sounds like this (please correct me where my assumptions are wrong):

Code:
/Recorded TV Folder/[Series Name] [Episode Name] [Aired Date].dvr-ms

Is that right?

Also, understand that the dvr-ms file format is a proprietary audio/video container from Microsoft. It's not an open format, so the meta data inside it will either be ignored or conflict with the MediaBrowser extension. In other words, I may be able to detect the show and episode based solely on the filename -- and then download a separate metadata .xml file for it that the MediaBrowser extension looks for -- or I may not be able to at all.

This is probably why you haven't found a program out there that will do it yet.

Do you have any unprotected (no DRM) dvr-ms episodes that you could put somewhere for me to download and examine/develop with? Preferably something small, like a 15-minute episode of Robot Chicken or some webcast.

There's some source code out there that I may be able to use to read in some basic meta data from the episode and then build the MediaBrowser extension meta data for that without any guesswork. We'll have to see though after I have an episode or two to play with.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2009, 9:48 pm 
Developer/Owner

After more digging and experimenting with some code, I should be able to help you out with this, but I will still need some samples to work with while I iron out all the bugs.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2009, 10:44 pm 
Developer/Owner

Paul wrote:
I found this on the web and it's the same problem I have. The info is not in the guide data.

I went into my guide data and manually put in the following sub title with the TV program Keeping Up Appearances. Aired today
<sub-title>Season 10, Episode 10</sub-title>
in xml format.
Then injected it into my guide.
Then did a 10 second recording of the program.
With these settings in the Reg %T_%Et_%Dt
It picked up the episode number and came out like this.
Keeping Up Appearances_Season 10, Episode 10_04_08_2008_15_32_36
So, if the episode information is in the guide. It will pick it up.
If the information is not in the guide it will only show the name date and time.

so, the only thing to work with is the name, unfortunately.

C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV\Rules of Engagement The Challenge 04_05_2009_21_31_02.dvr-ms

is the format my VMC uses. Shows are just piled into one directory though.
Bit of a pain..

BTW, I'm in Canada.. if that makes any difference?
ps, I didn't think you would still need the files, but if you do, I just did a 5 or 10 sec recording. All the metadata is still in the file no matter the duration (I think). let me know where to send them they are only around 10mb.

Open Media Center Master and go to Help -> E-mail. Use the e-mail address there and attach the file, please. I don't have a TV tuner card so I can't create/test code without it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: May 6th, 2009, 11:01 am 
Developer/Owner

darcman wrote:
Hey there...

Just a thought.... TVDB has an originally aired date tag I believe? So assuming that his recordings are on the original air date, could not the episode and season number be parsed by that? Just a thought.

It would only help if the Canadian air date is the same as the American air date... Unless you only record on the American stations.

I know that, for example Smallville is shown on Saturday in Canada, but on the CW it's during the week. Medium is shown early in Canada on Sundays, and Mondays in the states. I'm sure there are many other exceptions.

Darcman

Well you're making quite a few assumptions which shouldn't be relied on, the first of which is that the date in the filename is the air date of the show. It could be the date that the user recorded the show, the date it was rerun, the date my head exploded, etc.

Assuming that the date in the filename is always the air date, you are also reliant on the assumption that the broadcaster is providing the correct air date (not to mention locality, like you pointed out above). I've seen networks broadcast the wrong original air date several times, or not broadcast it at all in some cases.

I can read the meta data out of the .dvr-ms file based on some code I found online, but I won't feel comfortable pushing a release without testing it and making sure it's working smoothly first. Using the meta data in the .dvr-ms, I can much more accurately determine the show, season, and episode and generate meta data accordingly.

PostPosted: May 8th, 2009, 9:54 pm 
Developer/Owner

Version 1.07 supports the reading and parsing of internal meta data in dvr-ms files. Thanks for the test file, I was able to confirm that this is working. Check out the release notes, give it a test, and let me know how it works for you!

PostPosted: May 12th, 2009, 1:50 pm 
Developer/Owner

Paul wrote:
Hi Pete, Thanks for your awesome app again. The TV show dvr-ms metadata thing doesn't seem to be working. I think it may be getting confused by the date in the name maybe. All the shows I tried came out as season 2 episode 9 of whatever series I was trying. Even if there were multiple shows with different names, the xml listing came out the same for all the shows, and yes, I did update.

Hmm, it's working for me. Here's what I did -- maybe we can figure out what's different so we can get this fixed.

I tested with the file you gave me "The Outer Limits The Criminal Nature 05_05_2009_10_04_18.dvr-ms" -- because I don't have a tuner card, so I can't record and create my own episode recordings.

1. For now, change your Windows regional settings to:
    • Format of "English (United States)"
    • Location of "United States"
  2. Create the series base folder. If you keep TV in "C:\TV", for example and the show's name is "The Outer Limits", then create "C:\TV\The Outer Limits".
  3. Create a season subfolder (any season, including "Season 0"). For my testing and in this example, I created "C:\TV\The Outer Limits\Season 0".
  4. Add the series base folder to your scan folders.
  5. Fetch content for it and make sure it's the correct series (for
    "The Outer Limits The Criminal Nature 05_05_2009_10_04_18.dvr-ms", it's the second one called "The Outer Limits (1995)"
  6. Move all of your .dvr-ms files for this show into any season subfolder for this show. For example, I moved "The Outer Limits The Criminal Nature 05_05_2009_10_04_18.dvr-ms" to "C:\TV\The Outer Limits\Season 0".
  7. Open the Media Organizer for this show
  8. Check one of the episodes and click on Edit File Name.
  9. For "The Outer Limits The Criminal Nature 05_05_2009_10_04_18.dvr-ms", it comes up with an auto-suggested name of "The Outer Limits (1995) - 4x01 - Criminal Nature" and pre-fills Season with "4" and Episode with "1".

Here's the criteria it uses for searching:
  • Read thetvdb.com's series ID # from "series.xml" in the base series folder
  • Read the episode's title from the .dvr-ms file
  • Read the episode's original air date from the .dvr-ms file
  • Load the full episode list from thetvdb.com and compare the title and air date to the list. If there's an approximate title match and the air dates are within a week of each other, consider their to be a match and read back thetvdb.com's episode title, episode number, and season number.

When named, the file will auto-move to the correct season subfolder, creating it if it doesn't exist. In this case, "C:\TV\The Outer Limits\Season 4" was created and the file was moved there automatically. After you're done with naming, you'll want to pop out and re-fetch the TV folder so you can get MediaBrowser meta data for the episodes.

I never use the actual filename of the .dvr-ms file during this process. I only rely on the file's meta data for the episode title and air date. The series name, season number, and episode number are not included in the .dvr-ms file, so I have to use the episode's title + air date and the existing series.xml meta data from the TV fetch to search with.

See if you can get results following the procedure above?