Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently December 10th, 2018, 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow and laggy performance of MCM
PostPosted: September 30th, 2018, 5:34 am 
Original BluRay

There is a problem that MCM is very laggy with window GUI redraw/refreshing etc..
This has been an ongoing issue with this program.

Often times it seems like the program is like it is freezing/hanging..
and there is artifacts on the screen of the MCM window due to this hanging of the program
so the window will not refresh/redraw..

Whenever this happens I have to force quit the program.
And this seems to be to a regular occurrence whenever I run the program.

:supermad:

Note : I have not experience this issue with other programs that I use.
I have 16GB of ram.

Please fix this...

Here's a screenshot
I have put arrows where there is window artifacts on the screen/window of the program.

Post subject: Re: Slow and laggy performance of MCM
PostPosted: October 25th, 2018, 11:22 pm 
Downloaded Clip

I can confirm this has been an ongoing issue on a number of PCs I've used this program on over the months.
Currently running i3, 8gb Ram system with Windows 10 64bit.
Many times I simply have to control alt delete to kill the process.

If you'd like any more info, happy to provide. Just tell me what to do.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2018, 6:17 pm 
Xvid Movie

Hey Guys -

I actually just visited this forum a minute ago to post about it as I have the same issues which have occurred for a long, long time now and seem to be getting worse as time goes on. Unfortunately, there are no errors that I can find in MCM logs, events other than general ones, or whatever else - it just freezes or uses resources to the point where I must force close it.

As of today, when I launch the app and try to do anything; it launches vidinfo.exe about 15-20 times in the background thus grinding my system to a halt. Restarting the app or even PC doesn't help. If I let them all sort out then relaunch the app, it happens again.

I thought it was due to my library being 30tb, but recently made a copy of a profile for Movies which only have the ones I added in the past week (~20) at a time and still have problems. I launched MCM's troubleshooter, entered a path, and started the test; but it froze up after a few seconds as well without showing any errors.

System Specs
- Windows 10 x64 1803
- Intel i7 3770k Oc'd to 4.0Ghz
- 32gb RAM
- OS & MCM installed to SSD
- Media on 42.5tb disk pool (12 disks total - no issues with the pool whatsoever from any other apps)
- Media Center Master 2.18 Build 25818.755 (9/15/18)

Thanks

PostPosted: October 30th, 2018, 6:34 pm 
Original BluRay

bzowk wrote:
Hey Guys -

I actually just visited this forum a minute ago to post about it as I have the same issues which have occurred for a long, long time now and seem to be getting worse as time goes on. Unfortunately, there are no errors that I can find in MCM logs, events other than general ones, or whatever else - it just freezes or uses resources to the point where I must force close it.

As of today, when I launch the app and try to do anything; it launches vidinfo.exe about 15-20 times in the background thus grinding my system to a halt. Restarting the app or even PC doesn't help. If I let them all sort out then relaunch the app, it happens again.

I thought it was due to my library being 30tb, but recently made a copy of a profile for Movies which only have the ones I added in the past week (~20) at a time and still have problems. I launched MCM's troubleshooter, entered a path, and started the test; but it froze up after a few seconds as well without showing any errors.

System Specs
- Windows 10 x64 1803
- Intel i7 3770k Oc'd to 4.0Ghz
- 32gb RAM
- OS & MCM installed to SSD
- Media on 42.5tb disk pool (12 disks total - no issues with the pool whatsoever from any other apps)
- Media Center Master 2.18 Build 25818.755 (9/15/18)

Thanks

Glad to know that other people have been experiencing the same laggy performance

This is nothing related to your large movie library
I know because I only have one specific movie directory which I place new movies into
and once scanned I move all the movies out of that directory.

So at most I only have 10 to 20 movies in that folder when it gets scanned.

Your system is quite well spec and decent with 32GB of ram which should be more than enough
memory.

This is a definite fault with the program being too bloated, poorly coded, or the program has too many extra stuff running in the background..
Probably a combination of all those things..

I notice/think one of the reason for slow down / lag occurs is when it is writing the library cache to disk (as can be seen in my first screenshot)
This writing disk access is what is slowing the entire program down and causing the laggy performance.

There needs to be an option to disable this "feature"..
ie.
-Disable writing the library cache to disk

If you try another program "Ember Media Manager" you will see there is huge difference in performance.
And there does not appear be any issue with this laggy, slow GUI, window artifacts appearing on screen.

PostPosted: October 31st, 2018, 11:16 am 
Xvid Movie

Yes, I agree with what you said. The closest alternative that provides most of the features I use is TinyMediaManager. Even though built on Java, its extremely fast and I've never had any issues with it. Unfortunately, it doesn't have a feature to search for and trigger download of "Search for Better Quality Versions."

My biggest issue is that I recently renewed my license for MCM so it somewhat irks me that these bugs never seem to be addressed. I really wish that the DEV would look into these issues as I personally believe he should if requesting / accepting payment for "Support" and licensing. I could understand if attempts were made to resolve or potential fixes released, but from what I've seen its non-existent.

Speaking of the "Search for Better Quality Versions" feature, there could be drastic improvement for how MCM handles it including support for Deluge and customization for indexing. I'm considering writing a script which would do the same as this as well as search for and replace titles with HEVC/x265 versions to help manage space - that combined with TinyMediaManager would be a great solution IMO.

Thanks

PostPosted: November 12th, 2018, 6:22 pm 
Downloaded Clip

+1 to this. I've used MCM for a long time and also been a paid member for a couple of years but I figured it shouldn't be running/fetching this slow. I don't have the fastest rig in the world, but a Ryzen 7 should be able to handle this program. It's now almost neck and neck to tag metadata as it is to re-encode a high-definition movie.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2018, 4:56 am 
Downloaded Clip

Objectively speaking, MCM has always had these types of problems. But I also agree they have been getting progressively worse as time goes on. As a developer myself, I can tell you that one or both of the following are true of MCM:

1. The software is trying to do far too much actual computational work directly on the UI thread.
  2. The software has fundamental multi-threading design issues causing concurrency problems (deadlocks, race conditions, etc.) involving the UI thread.

This is not that uncommon -- UI work is a PITA -- and notoriously difficult to debug. For example, just trying to debug the problem can change the behavior (observer effect). Race conditions are a true manifestation of "Schrödinger's cat" in software.

Chances are, it would take some very significant rework to totally resolve these issues. Unless the developer happens to find a "magic bullet" from one core issue, most attempts to triage the issue will only complicate the problem. MCM needs a fundamental redesign of its concurrency framework (thread pools, workers, fair queuing, etc.).

My first thought if the developer reads: Take a look at how threads are writing to the Log in the UI. Log lines must fundamentally be synchronized or else you would get interleaved characters of gibberish. That and the Tree/Table implementation are the obvious two places where the UI might be getting tripped up while dealing with multiple background threads.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2018, 6:08 am 
Original BluRay

robross0606 wrote:
Objectively speaking, MCM has always had these types of problems. But I also agree they have been getting progressively worse as time goes on. As a developer myself, I can tell you that one or both of the following are true of MCM:

1. The software is trying to do far too much actual computational work directly on the UI thread.
  2. The software has fundamental multi-threading design issues causing concurrency problems (deadlocks, race conditions, etc.) involving the UI thread.

This is not that uncommon -- UI work is a PITA -- and notoriously difficult to debug. For example, just trying to debug the problem can change the behavior (observer effect). Race conditions are a true manifestation of "Schrödinger's cat" in software.

Chances are, it would take some very significant rework to totally resolve these issues. Unless the developer happens to find a "magic bullet" from one core issue, most attempts to triage the issue will only complicate the problem. MCM needs a fundamental redesign of its concurrency framework (thread pools, workers, fair queuing, etc.).

My first thought if the developer reads: Take a look at how threads are writing to the Log in the UI. Log lines must fundamentally be synchronized or else you would get interleaved characters of gibberish. That and the Tree/Table implementation are the obvious two places where the UI might be getting tripped up while dealing with multiple background threads.

As a long time user of this program as you...
In past I was able to use this program to do what it was design to do
but it seems lately (probably since this year) it has gotten so bad in sluggishness
that is basically at that point where you decide to
"Stuff it I will just use something else".

That is literally how bad this program has become..

The alternative free program which does not have this sluggish or is as bad as this program is
Ember media manager.
Plus that forum at least has the programmer responding to the problems posted.
Whereas I think the programmer of this software has not yet even reply to this thread..
This shows you how much support you can get..

The biggest factor which I found to be contributing or causing this sluggishness
is to do with the writing library cache to disk as shown in my first screenshot..
This writing cache to disk basically causes the entire UI to become sluggish and unresponsive
and causes UI glitches..

And despite disabling this feature in the setting..
It still does not disable writing library cache to disk.

Also this program has become a fat pig/bloated software of "features"
which has contributed to this problem
and make the program useless for what it was designed for (which is to just scrape movies/tv/videos data etc)

The software is slow sluggish and laggy
that I have given up and move over to ember media manager as my main scraper (and it is free without any cripple features)

I will go back to MCM as my main scraper when this program's laggy performance gets fixed
or if the programmer reboot/resets the software back to it is most basic purpose..

As a programmer you already know about the term "feature creep"
I am not sure if it applies here..
but this program has too many "features" that pretty much has crippled it's core purpose..
and made this program pretty useless (due to the laggy performance) that we can't use it for that purpose it was created for.