Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently May 26th, 2019, 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Slow and laggy performance of MCM
PostPosted: January 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm 
Flash Video

john129 wrote:
what features are you looking in Ember?

I don't recall specifically what wasn't adequate the last time I tried. Only that it fell short. Generally speaking, I need the following features currently provided by Media Center Master:
  • Runs in the background either minimized to the Windows tray or preferably as a Windows service.
  • Periodically auto-scans configured directories (movies, shows, etc.).
  • Downloads metadata in formats readable by Kodi and Plex.
  • Renames and reorganizes media based on metadata into a folder structure that works with both Kodi and Plex.
  • Provides artwork management for customization and optimization.
One of the things that makes Media Center Master useful is the Plex Agent/Scanner add-on. However, I believe there's an alternative scanner that can directly read Kodi format so maybe that can be solved.

Oh, and here's a better one. Where do you even get Ember "releases"? Are there such a thing, or are we just continuously using daily Alpha builds? Ember's documentation and website structure leaves a LOT to be desired.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 2:31 pm 
Flash Video

I just tried Ember and... not impressed.

• Ember was extremely slow to pull metadata off the web. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it was pulling more images, but the per-media speed was really bad. It would take hours for Ember to scan my whole library at the rate it processes.
  • The way Ember handles Movie-sets and collections isn't nearly as good as MCM.
  • The UI is really pretty terrible. MCM isn't great, but it is light years better than Ember. I suppose this isn't the most important factor, but it is certainly grating.
  • Ember seemed to get confused between data from IMDB and TheTvDb when they didn't agree. This resulted in completely borked metadata with incorrect seasons designations and media file names.

If I was starting with a new library from scratch, I would probably use it. However, attempting to migrate from MCM to Ember was a MESS. Glad I tried it with a copy of some of my files.

What would be GREAT is if someone could document a good way to migrate from MCM to Ember with minimal heartburn. That would be a worthwhile read.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2019, 2:34 pm 
Flash Video

I just now discovered the "Debug" menu on MCM. The Thread Manager window is very telling about what's happening. When my MCM hangs up, a "Fetcher" thread has been spawned, but then goes IDLE without ever finishing. The normal behavior of the Fetcher threads is to spawn and then be cleaned up and removed. In this case, the thread stays there with a Description of "Fetching [yada yada]...". Meanwhile, the UI thread also goes IDLE but stops refreshing at all. Can you spell "DEADLOCK"?

What leads you to believe this has something to do with the on-disk cache? Is there something you've seen in logs or some other debug info? I'm curious.