Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently December 18th, 2017, 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My new NAS, part II
PostPosted: January 7th, 2013, 11:46 am 
Developer/Owner

Hijinxx wrote:
I was using freeNAS originally but switched to DROBO FS a while ago. How do you rate Drobo as a solution for a media server? Are there any tweaks I can look into to enhance performance or should I think about going back to FreeNAS?
Sorry, I just saw this -- I've never heard of Drobo.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2013, 3:26 am 
Downloaded Clip

Hey there,

Signed up to reply to this. I recently built a freeNAS box myself and got network maxing gigabit speeds, but I used a PCI-e Intel NIC. I was wondering if you've looked into FreeNAS's new plugins jail though. Would be really cool to see a MCM built for freeNAS that can sit on the NAS itself cleaning up all your files for you :3 *wishful thinking*

PostPosted: November 28th, 2013, 10:51 am 
High-Def MKV

Nothing like reviving an old thread :) I just built my first FreeNAS box and remembered reading this thread a while back so I wanted to come read it.

+1 on the MCM plugin! Pete, could you please clone yourself and have him get started working on this? LOL...

Not sure if this is still your build or not, but from my research on the freenas forums, I've noticed a couple of things about your build that go against the advice offered over there.

One thing is they say you should have at least 1GB of RAM for every TB of storage and they stress this has a huge impact on performance with zfs [url="http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?s=8d31305e57c1dd2853eb817124ff18d9&p=1036865233&postcount=3"]ref[/url].

I don't know crap about raid controllers or if your sata cards are doing hardware raid or not, but apparently hardware raid + the software raid provided by freenas/zfs is bad. I guess the caching/buffering between the two can greatly degrade performance.

Please note I'm talking out my ass and don't know anything, I'm just repeating what I've read over there.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 1:15 pm 
Developer/Owner

The rule of thumbs and best practices for ZFS seem to change every year or two. I think for very large arrays, the 1 GB-per-1 TB ratio loses its meaning. I have 35.1 TB storage with 16 GB of RAM and never bottleneck. Even if I had 10 Gbps LAN, there's just more vroom on the server than there is on the network to push it.

My controllers are not providing RAID, just direct access to the drives.

I'm also definitely breaking another standard practice of having one giant pool made from all my drives. Best practices would have you create smaller sets to pool together, but you waste a lot of storage that way. My setup has 16 drives and is fault tolerant for up to 2 at any one time. My risk is higher this way, but I get more storage and performance (less mirroring). Your mileage/needs may vary.

Glad you found my posts useful or at least entertaining. It's my second go at a DIY NAS and it's served me well for 1½ years already. Time does fly...

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 2:13 pm 
High-Def MKV

Pete wrote:
The rule of thumbs and best practices for ZFS seem to change every year or two. I think for very large arrays, the 1 GB-per-1 TB ratio loses its meaning. I have 35.1 TB storage with 16 GB of RAM and never bottleneck. Even if I had 10 Gbps LAN, there's just more vroom on the server than there is on the network to push it.

My controllers are not providing RAID, just direct access to the drives.

I'm also definitely breaking another standard practice of having one giant pool made from all my drives. Best practices would have you create smaller sets to pool together, but you waste a lot of storage that way. My setup has 16 drives and is fault tolerant for up to 2 at any one time. My risk is higher this way, but I get more storage and performance (less mirroring). Your mileage/needs may vary.

Glad you found my posts useful or at least entertaining. It's my second go at a DIY NAS and it's served me well for 1½ years already. Time does fly...

Clarification for other interested parties. The main reason people advise against a large array is that it is much more difficult to expand the array. If you have a 16 drive raidz2 and you want to expand your array and remain consistent, you need to get another 16 drives.

I'm not arguing with you on this Pete, I'm just trying to explain the logic behind the advice for large arrays of smaller vdev's. :ugeek:

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 2:54 pm 
Developer/Owner

It's an accurate and fair point. I don't have any room to expand beyond 16 drives though, so for me it's fully moot. Others reading would want to know, though.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2013, 3:16 pm 
High-Def MKV

Pete wrote:
It's an accurate and fair point. I don't have any room to expand beyond 16 drives though, so for me it's fully moot. Others reading would want to know, though.

Well you do know what's better than 16 drives, right? 32 drives! :D

PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 1:38 pm 
Flash Video

Here are my disk performance results from HDtune. If you have a specific test you'd like me to run. Let me know.

Server Specs:
Hardware: 12.7TB Media Volume D: (8x2TB in RAID 5), 1TB OS Volume C: (2x1TB WD Black in RAID 1), 2x Dell Perc 5/i RAID cards, AMD 2.81GHz Quad Core CPU, 16GB DDR3 1866MHz RAM, Dual Gig NICs.

Network diagram: My local network is pitiful because it relies on 3 powerline networking adapters for playback. The server has a one gig uplink to the ISP modem. The second gig uplink connects to a powerline adapter which in turn connects to two other powerline adapters around the house. Each of those have a 5 port gig switch attached. To these i connect my 2 Roku's, 2 TV's, Sound System, 2 desktop workstations and a VOIP desk phone. I also have a wireless AP for my phone and tablet, but i dont rely on its quality due to it being only single band. 2.4GHz is too crowded here. I share an internet connection with another roommate. My devices run on a separate subnet than his. This is done for a little privacy and security. So my server runs DNS and DHCP only for my devices. The ISP modem does that for his devices and any house guests.

Attachments:
D Drive Config.PNG
D Drive Config.PNG [ 109.66 KiB | Viewed 4514 times ]
C Drive Config.PNG
C Drive Config.PNG [ 119.59 KiB | Viewed 4514 times ]
File comment: HDtune does not detect the correct storage value of the D drive
D Preformance.PNG
D Preformance.PNG [ 23.6 KiB | Viewed 4514 times ]
C Preformance.PNG
C Preformance.PNG [ 24.55 KiB | Viewed 4514 times ]

Hardware: 12.7TB Media Volume (8x2TB in RAID 5), 12.7TB Backup Volume (8x2TB in RAID 5) 1TB OS Volume (2x1TB WD Black in RAID 1), 2x Dell Perc 5/i RAID cards for Media and Backup Volumes, Built in RAID for OS Volume, AMD 2.81GHz Quad Core CPU (overclocked to 3.20GHz), 16GB DDR3 1866MHz RAM, Dual Gig NICs

~~Have you tried turning it off and on again?~~