Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently October 17th, 2017, 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Streaming content from outside home network help
PostPosted: December 12th, 2013, 9:10 pm 
Xvid Movie

Pete wrote:
No bandwidth limitation or premium version for Plex... it just does its thing. I use it myself and it's pretty solid.

8-)

I started using plex last month for external viewing on my iphone and with the web. The GF does not have TV in her condo (she is a consultant, m-f on the road, home on weekends. its a waste of money) so I have MCM track her shows for her. she streams using the plex app on her ipad then airplays it to her apple tv. She loves it.

I have the PMS running on my unraid box and have MCM update plex using post processing in MCM to update it with new tv and movies. for a $6 app, 100 worth it.

for those with a slow upload (125/35 here) plex will re-encode the media to suit your bandwidth.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2015, 4:01 pm 
Downloaded Clip

plex works
but you need to know your upload bandwidth and set a limiter in plex so it does not use it all. if you have 10meg download you may only have 512k upload may sd videos take 900k at least so you need to set plex to remux and limit its bandwidth.

unfortunately plex did not seem to have a setting for bits transferred it just lets you set resolutions.
for instance a 1 meg upload I would set plex to send 320x200 videos that leaves me extra bandwidth for other things.

PostPosted: September 20th, 2015, 5:27 am 
Community Support

Another Plex user here. Got the Plex Pass and Plex media server running on my 2008 R2 application server.

Works perfectly anywhere and on anything I throw at it.

Great product.

PostPosted: September 24th, 2015, 10:59 am 
Flash Video

Mad3813 wrote:
Another Plex user here. Got the Plex Pass and Plex media server running on my 2008 R2 application server.

Works perfectly anywhere and on anything I throw at it.

Great product.

I have a Plex/MCM setup on my 2012 R2 server. Even tho I pay for Plex pass. I've manually set port forwarding on my firewall to use a custom port for Plex. I also enabled SSL and forced its use.

Plex pass works great for mobile devices. But nothing beats a custom URL that you can pull up on any internet connected device.

I wouldn't recommend this kind of setup to those who don't understand the security risks involved.

Hardware: 12.7TB Media Volume (8x2TB in RAID 5), 12.7TB Backup Volume (8x2TB in RAID 5) 1TB OS Volume (2x1TB WD Black in RAID 1), 2x Dell Perc 5/i RAID cards for Media and Backup Volumes, Built in RAID for OS Volume, AMD 2.81GHz Quad Core CPU (overclocked to 3.20GHz), 16GB DDR3 1866MHz RAM, Dual Gig NICs

~~Have you tried turning it off and on again?~~