Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently June 22nd, 2018, 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I need a Boxee Box replacement...
PostPosted: February 5th, 2013, 8:21 am 
DVD VOB

..that is stable enough to work 95% of the time, and easy enough for my wife to use.

I have 2 Boxee Boxes, but I've had to replace on already under warranty, and Boxee has announced that they are not developing more firmware for their existing units.
I'm looking for another set top box that will do a similiar job to the Boxee, but will have ongoing support, and is easy to use.
I have MCM running for all the scrapes, so whatever device I use doesn't have to do this. I was looking at PCH, but their newest products seem to be a little buggy(according to the bit or research I've done, I was comparing the A-300 to an A-400), and I'm also not sure how much work would be required to have it up and running like the Boxee is.
I've also started hearing very good things about the latest WDTV Live box(ironically, I switched out my old WDTV box for the Boxee's), it sounds like it now handles the scraped data.

What is everyone else running(aside from a HTPC or a mac Mini). I tried a JB ATV2, found it very slow compared to the Boxee, and a Roku (I didn't like the fact that my server had to transcode everything, it's only an old dual core 2GHz machine, fine as a server, gets taxed a bit while transcoding).
Mark

Post subject: Re: I need a Boxee Box replacement...
PostPosted: February 7th, 2013, 10:11 am 
Downloaded Clip

I'm using a Android TV Stick works great, and the Wife appoves. ;)
it is a MK808B i bought it from: Geek Buying.com

it is $50.00

here is my setup if your intrested:
http://youtu.be/wCRn0lmAuL0

Post subject: Re: I need a Boxee Box replacement...
PostPosted: February 21st, 2013, 7:01 am 
Flash Video

I ran with a Boxee Box for a while and eventually abandoned it because of stability issues and because it uses too much wattage for what it is (~20 watts even in standby). Since then I've become convinced that XBMC is the best media application hands-down. The interface can be greatly reorganized and simplified with the use of skins. And the plugin architecture makes it infinitely extensible.

I've tried XBMC Frodo on an ATV2, an MK802, MK808B, and most recently a Windows computer. I'm convinced that these little Android sticks will soon be the best platform for XBMC, but they're hard to recommend right now because of the lack of hardware decoding. HD formats just won't play smoothly....yet. But otherwise they are fast, small, cheap and use almost no energy. One of the XBMC devs is working on the HW decoding part, so hopefully we'll have that soon.

I'm now running it on a Windows-based Core I3 mini-itx build, which is overkill for XBMC, but it was a great deal and the computer runs a lot of other services too. XBMC is rock solid and as fast as can be. Time will tell how bullet proof the whole setup is with the wife and kids, but so far it's a joy to use. If you go this route, I'd highly recommend looking at the Openelec XBMC distribution (which makes it like an appliance) and the new Ivy Bridge Celeron processor which is cheap and has integrated graphics good enough to handle anything you can throw at it through XBMC:
http://microcenter.com/product/408967/C ... _Processor

Also, check out the Xeebo skin if you want to make XBMC look like Boxee.

Hope this helps,
Aaron