Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently November 14th, 2018, 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Off-loading HTPC management functions
PostPosted: February 8th, 2013, 11:33 pm 
Downloaded Clip

Yep two here also. Name them whatever you want, I use media user to run my media centre, start up media streaming servers for mobile devices etc. Then I use a download user to run my torrents and media centre master. User media automatically logs in on a reboot so everything that is essential to the operation of the media centre will start if my not so technical other half needs to reboot, and the maintenance stuff can wait until I get home.

I had the same fears initially about changeing the dll but eventually I figured I'd take an image and then change it, that was nearly two years ago and I've never experienced an issue...in fact I get more issues using the xbox as an extender but that's a totally different subject...

PostPosted: February 9th, 2013, 9:07 am 
High-Def MKV

Cool -- that was the next thing I was struggling with... my xbmc user would log in, but then the other user that runs all the goodies wouldn't be logged in.

By default you can't RDP to the same machine you're currently on -- it fails if you use the loop back address or ip address, but there's a nifty little trick I found... it will let you connect to itself if you use the IP "127.0.0.2". So I saved an rdp session with my credentials saved, then created a batch file on my XBMC profile that does something like this:

start /MIN c:\Windows\System32\mstsc.exe c:\Users\me\Desktop\myconn.rdp
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 10 -w 1000 > NULL
taskkill /F /IM mstsc.exe

Then added it to the startup group, so whenever the computer boots, it auto-logs on to my xbmc profile for the family, then launches a minimized rdp session to itself to start all of my utilities, does a dumb ping just to let a few seconds pass, then kills the minimized remote desktop window leaving the session logged in.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2013, 12:45 pm 
Developer/Owner

bal wrote:
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 10 -w 1000 > NULL
Good script, but you should fix "NULL" to "NUL". While "NUL" is a virtual device name that will nullify output from other commands and console applications, "NULL" isn't anything, so you'll be redirecting output from PING to a file called "NULL".

PostPosted: September 29th, 2013, 3:00 pm 
Flash Video

This is really cool. Thanks for the script.

I find I rarely have to do anything with MCM as the automated tasks work 95% of the time. When I have to add a title it's nice to be able to do it through the laptop. Now I don't need to worry about logging in to my MCM account after a restart.

I've heard Pete mention an eventual server/client aspect to the program and that would be cool too :)

PostPosted: November 5th, 2014, 3:31 pm 
High-Def MKV

Hey all,

A security patch was recently released by Microsoft which kills the termsrv.dll hack, so if you haven't updated in a while and you do, it will break.

The update specifically is KB2984972. You can uninstall it and then hide it so it won't keep installing, or, there is a new version of termsrv.dll out that isn't affected by the security update:

https://anonfiles.com/file/b34724f06531 ... d73edf3597

I used the new termsrv.dll and just ran the install script and it now works fine again.

Cheers.

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 7:36 pm 
High-Def MKV

I've noticed something weird about the .dll file I posted. I can connect from one computer via RDP to my HTPC and everything works as expected. If I connect from a 2nd computer, it doesn't disconnect my session from the 1st computer, it just logs me in as if it's a fresh session with the same user name. However, somehow, behind the scenes, all of the applications for that user are still running. I can't open another firefox window, etc.

If anybody finds a better solution or a better termsrv.dll file that just lets you take over the current session for that user, it would be great if you could post it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: November 12th, 2014, 9:07 pm 
Developer/Owner

That's... weird. Sorry, no solutions here. I have MCM in a VM now instead of in another session on that PC. :/

PostPosted: November 24th, 2014, 9:21 am 
High-Def MKV

Well it seems a reboot was all that was necessary. It now functions properly like the old termsrv.dll.