Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently October 23rd, 2018, 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Speed
PostPosted: February 7th, 2013, 4:06 pm 
High-Def MKV

I have had intermittent issues where MCM will be performing file moves or scanning and the UI becomes unresponsive. I've been using a Trendnet 802.11n wireless 300mps USB network adapter which has been very suitable for streaming videos to my HTPC for quite a while.

Since I started downloading more HD content, I had more and more problems, which is understandable -- uTorrent is pulling down content from the internet and across wireless to my HTPC, then moving it back across wireless to my NAS, all while somebody is usually using XBMC to stream content from the NAS to my HTPC, while at least 2-3 other laptops, tablets, and cell phones are in use. The problem got even worse when I just upgraded my internet from 10mbs to 20 -- double the bandwidth saturation in my wireless signal just from being able to download more stuff at once.

It got so bad that not only was MCM giving me headaches, but XBMC started locking up and crashing because it couldn't stream the files.

I just moved my Cisco e4200 router to the basement and terminated the cat5e cable coming in from my ISPs demarcation box with a cat6 keystone. I moved my NAS next to it and connected it with cat6... then I ran a long cat6 up to my entertainment center in the living room and connected my Asus Dark Knight up to it... then all of my living room devices to it...

With gige now connecting the nas, htpc, and internet connection, MCM flies and I haven't seen any of the unresponsive issues while it's handling very large files.

Just thought I would share my experience.

Post subject: Re: Speed
PostPosted: February 7th, 2013, 9:49 pm 
Developer/Owner

Glad to hear you got it worked out -- there's just not enough bandwidth available for wifi (even with 802.11n). You may be able to bump the performance higher with the performance tweaks at the wiki (if you haven't tried them yet).