Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently August 20th, 2019, 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HTPC Build Thoughts
PostPosted: May 21st, 2013, 1:14 pm 
Xvid Movie

I have an older HTPC build I use, and I'm looking to upgrade now...

I'm Curious to see what everyone thinks about the setup I'm going with...

Silverstone Tek GD-08 Case
ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Intel Z77 4DIMM ATX2400
Corsair Enthusiast Series TX850 V2 850W 80+ Bronze
SAMSUNG 840 250GB 2.5 SATA III (SSD)
Intel Core i7-3770K 3.50 GHz LGA1155
Kingston XMP 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL9 (Kit of 4) XMP
Blu-ray Optical Drive (From Previous Build)
8 Western Digital Red 3 TB NAS Hard Drive: 3.5 Inch, SATA III (`20TB Usable with Raid Config/Overhead) (From previous HTPC)
ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2, CPU Cooler
EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1024MB GDDR5 DVI mHDMI Graphics Card (from previous HTPC)

I'm stepping up from a 2nd Gen core i3. It was basically an HP desktop I got cheap to serve media after adding a eSata card, raid box and video card...

I've built several HTPC setups using most of these components before so I know they work great and fly... It's finally my turn to upgrade my own gear instead :D

I'm curious to see what people think and of course share what you're using, maybe You've done something different than most?

HTPC:
Case: Silverstone Tek GD-08
SSD of OS/Programs: SAMSUNG 840 PRO
Power Supply: Corsair AX760i
Motherboard: AsRock z87 Fatal1ty Professional
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
Memory: Crucial Ballistix VLP DDR3, 4x8GB (32GB total)
Optical Drive: LG Blu-Ray Reader/DVD Writer
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650-Ti SSC 1GB
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer Pro Rev 2
Storage Drives: 8 WD Red 3TB Drives, 4 WD Red Drives 6TB Drives (40TB Storage)

Last edited by ibeamadeus on May 23rd, 2013, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: HTPC Build Thoughts
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2013, 11:20 pm 
Developer/Owner

More than enough juice, but I think your system drive may be a bottleneck for you. I'd go with an SSD drive for caching thumbnails, especially on a large collection (not sure what size you have, but if you're preparing to use upwards of 20 TiB, I'd say its sizable).

What else do you have planned for your HTPC? Games (such as Steam Big Picture or higher-end console emulation)? You seem to have overkill with your CPU/GPU/RAM.

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2013, 4:15 pm 
Xvid Movie

you think I should jump to a 500GB SSD instead of the 256GB one?

I don't do anything overly special on the system, it acts as my media hub and personal cloud system, the big constraints are that it's a It's a constant on box so it has to be robust enough...

In a worst case scenario it is feeding Media to 5 TVs, (3 of which may need to have the files transcoded) 1 just streamed and one attached), downloading media, processing that media, possibly streaming a movie via the internet to a phone or tablet elsewhere, Running the iTunes hub for the house too... So I need more power than my little i3 can handle... The video card was a steal on Amazon so I couldn't pass it up, especially since This is directly powering my home theater setup as the head unit...

HTPC:
Case: Silverstone Tek GD-08
SSD of OS/Programs: SAMSUNG 840 PRO
Power Supply: Corsair AX760i
Motherboard: AsRock z87 Fatal1ty Professional
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K
Memory: Crucial Ballistix VLP DDR3, 4x8GB (32GB total)
Optical Drive: LG Blu-Ray Reader/DVD Writer
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650-Ti SSC 1GB
CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer Pro Rev 2
Storage Drives: 8 WD Red 3TB Drives, 4 WD Red Drives 6TB Drives (40TB Storage)

PostPosted: May 24th, 2013, 1:50 pm 
Developer/Owner

I didn't see that the drive was an SSD. 256 GB should be plenty for OS and caches.

I'd watch power consumption... that may be a great GPU deal, but I'm not familiar with what kind of draw power like that demands, so you may want to do some homework there since its an always-on machine. Of course if you're going for an all-in-one HTPC + gaming center like I did, then you'll want a beefy GPU:

www.youtube.com Video from : www.youtube.com

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2013, 10:05 am 
DVD VOB

IMO that's a lot of extra expense on CPU and GPU unless you are going to be gaming and / or doing a lot of encode / transcode

if it's strictly a streamer / player with some light transcode, just about any Nvidia 2xx or above has plenty of hardware decode horses and features to offer very high quality and responsive playback, scaling, multitasking etc.

CPU wise, the same thing, if you are going to be using the extreme horsepower that CPU offers for video processing / ripping, handbraking etc. then it pays off.... the 2nd and 3rd gen Intels are awesome at that... but for mostly playback, I don't see the need.

In my view, I totally agree with Pete... an SSD is required once you get a large library going for caching and multitasking... I moved to a 256gb SSD boot (128 is really too small for everything) once my library got beyond 2.5TB and it was the best improvement, by far, I ever made to my setup. It makes simultaneous ripping, downloading many streams, and playback smooth as butter.

Maxing out the ram is also a great idea, but only if you leave superfetch on in combination with the SSD in this application for a bunch of technical reasons.....

obviously if money is no object, you don't worry about saving on the CPU/GPU.... either way you go, it will be an awesome setup, enjoy!

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 11:47 pm 
Downloaded Clip

I went with a client / server arrangement.

On the server side I use Unraid to store my files. Its just a basic PC with 3 hard drives 2GB ram and a Pentium D processor. It has a GB Ethernet port. My system is a HP xw4300. Its going to be replaced soon with a VMWare system. the unraid download is at www.lime-technology.com.

The free version supports 3 drives, the paid versions (Plus) supports 7 drives and (Pro) supports 26 drives.

On the front end is a dell with a nvidia half height graphics card. running Windows 7 and XBMC. I went with windows because netflix requires the use of silverlight. My blue-rays ripped to 1080P (yes they are 30 to 60 GB) play beautifully. no problems.

I would say, you are having one box do to much stuff. I would spend the money on a good gaming system, and with the rest put together the clent server setup I mentioned. I have tried using for example a acer veriton atom pc. Which is around $250.00. Under xmbcubuntu it worked really great. Streamed every file I could throw at it. Running windows on the other had for netflix, it absolutely sucked.

Good Luck

--Sideband Samurai