Welcome to Media Center Master!
A powerful solution for mastering your digital media library.
Supporting Emby, Kodi/XBMC/OSMC, Plex, Windows Media Center, and more!

Home Download Gallery Wiki Issue Tracker Licensing Forums

FAQ  •  Search •  Login •  Register     
It is currently November 20th, 2018, 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage - NAS suggestions requested
PostPosted: August 25th, 2013, 5:51 pm 
Xvid Movie

My windows media center collection needs a better backup system and I am considering network attached storage. I am looking for ideas. Right now I am looking at the Synology DS413 and DS413J units. Any ideas would be appreciated.

It's all backed up right now on multiple 3TB external hard drives.

My primary unit is a Intel I-875K based Asus motherboard with 16GB of ram , SSD boot , ATI drive, 7850 video card and 4 x 3TB Sata drives feeding one (later will be too) X-box units. MY collection is about 6TB now and growing slowly.

Thanks
John

Post subject: Re: Storage - NAS suggestions requested
PostPosted: August 28th, 2013, 9:10 am 
Community Support

I'm currently using a QNAP TS-412 Turbo Nas with great success, it has 4x3TB drives in a raid5 configuration, I had a drive go a couple of weeks ago, just popped it out with the power still on put in a new drive and it rebuilt no probe.

The drive was under warranty so I sent it back to Seagate, all good :-)

Other users have had equal results with Synology NAS's so they might be worth looking at as well.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 11:19 pm 
Downloaded Clip

If you want to build your own, use Unraid. New version 5.0 just came out yesterday. Supports 3TB drives and up. Up to 26 physical drives with the Pro License. If you used all 4TB drives, you would have 96TB of storage which includes 1 parity drive and one cache drive.

The free version supports 2 data and one parity. You can use any size drive and throw it in. Just like a drobo. The only caviot is that the parity drive must be the largest drive in the system.

This is a commercial product, fully supported.

Plus version which supports 1 Parity and 6 Data Drives is $69.00 This version also supports a cache drive which will reduce your data drives by 1

Pro version which supports 1 Parity and 25 Data Drives is $149.00 Same as above for the Cache drive.

Features full parity support, individual drive replacement and rebuild of the damaged drives contents. If you have to replace a drive, the data is still available to you if you need it. If you loose 2 drives in the array ... you loose ... only the two drives. Yes this is not RAID 5, its called Unraid. Should you loose two drives (very rarely happens) the data on the rest of the drives is recoverable by simply copying off the data and rebuilding the server.

The Developer is in San Diego and is very responsive to support questions. There are people who have TWO 26 drive servers supporting what ever media they need.

It boots off a usb key, keeping all hard drives available for storage.

I personally have been using the Free version for over a year and I am about to upgrade to the Pro version. I have not had any issues at all. It runs on virtually any hardware you can throw at it. It also supports a plug-in system to support other applications.

You can Visit Lime Technology for more info.

Sincerely

Sideband Samurai

PostPosted: September 1st, 2013, 11:51 am 
Xvid Movie

I posted that request for info on multiple forums and got similar results. I want to thank everyone for the info. I decided on a Synology DS1513+ for a variety of reasons. Their reviews are all great, they have a plethora of apps that work on my Nook HD+ tablet and their tech support was really wonderful with my questions both before and after the purchase. It is an expandable 5 bay unit. So far so good.

thanks again
john

PostPosted: September 14th, 2013, 5:45 am 
High-Def MKV

Good choice I got the 1812+ and it is amazing. The only issue (which was from me not reading) is to use the smart raid you must start with the smaller drives first. Again after the fact it only makes sense. The other issue is when you add hard drives the Synology slows way down. Other than that it flies with no issues. I am easily getting 100-120MB transfers.

PostPosted: September 21st, 2013, 6:37 pm 
Xvid Movie

Slows down ?? With transfer speeds like that I am confused.
I have read that adding larger drives and rebuilding the array is slow but after working with raid 5 for many years, I am used to that.

I started with one new 4 TB and 3 x 3Tb and 1 x 2tb which is what I had around. I will add 4tb drives going forward and I agree it is FAST, quiet and responsive. I start it up weekly to do a backup / update and then turn it off. I have not realty played with any of the app's available or other possibilities as I wanted secure backup and have it.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2013, 5:06 am 
High-Def MKV

Sorry about that. With Synology's hybrid RAID it takes quite awhile to add a drive to the array. The slowdown is only during that time. It is extremely fast the rest of the time.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2013, 9:05 pm 
Xvid Movie

SidebandSamurai wrote:
If you want to build your own, use Unraid. New version 5.0 just came out yesterday. Supports 3TB drives and up. Up to 26 physical drives with the Pro License. If you used all 4TB drives, you would have 96TB of storage which includes 1 parity drive and one cache drive.

The free version supports 2 data and one parity. You can use any size drive and throw it in. Just like a drobo. The only caviot is that the parity drive must be the largest drive in the system.

This is a commercial product, fully supported.

Plus version which supports 1 Parity and 6 Data Drives is $69.00 This version also supports a cache drive which will reduce your data drives by 1

Pro version which supports 1 Parity and 25 Data Drives is $149.00 Same as above for the Cache drive.

Features full parity support, individual drive replacement and rebuild of the damaged drives contents. If you have to replace a drive, the data is still available to you if you need it. If you loose 2 drives in the array ... you loose ... only the two drives. Yes this is not RAID 5, its called Unraid. Should you loose two drives (very rarely happens) the data on the rest of the drives is recoverable by simply copying off the data and rebuilding the server.

The Developer is in San Diego and is very responsive to support questions. There are people who have TWO 26 drive servers supporting what ever media they need.

It boots off a usb key, keeping all hard drives available for storage.

I personally have been using the Free version for over a year and I am about to upgrade to the Pro version. I have not had any issues at all. It runs on virtually any hardware you can throw at it. It also supports a plug-in system to support other applications.

You can Visit Lime Technology for more info.

Sincerely

Sideband Samurai

Old thread I know, but a bump for unraid, Just cant beat it

PostPosted: February 1st, 2014, 6:04 pm 
High-Def MKV

Ok I am in need of some more storage for my Synology and was thinking about the WD RED 4TB NAS drives. Does anyone have any thoughts on those drives?

Currently 1233 movies(Good ones over 20GB in size) and 163 T.V. Titles(Standard)

PostPosted: February 2nd, 2014, 9:09 am 
Community Support

Over the course of the next few months I will be replacing the drives in a few things with the Red drives, 3 year warranty as standard, designed for 24/7 use.... we use them at work over everything else..